LGBTQIA+ ATHLETE ADVOCACY
Attendees learned how to make campuses and teams safer and more welcoming
for LGBTQIA+ student-athletes and staff.
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2023
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Location: Cleveland State University — Student Center Ballroom
2121 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115
Program Overview: A free* event filled with educational sessions, networking and reflections where participants asked questions, had meaningful conversations and gained tools in support of LGBTQIA+ athletes and staff.
This Cleveland Power of Sport Summit Series program encouraged participants to:
- Learn about issues LGBTQIA+ student-athletes and staff face within sports culture and the importance of creating inclusive spaces
- Ask questions and engage in meaningful conversation
- Gain tools to put learning into practice
- Collaborate with administrators, coaches and athletes on developing action plans to improve LGBTQIA+ inclusion on campuses
- Reflect on experiences at the Cleveland Power of Sport Summit Series and determine how to enact positive change
The importance of supporting LGBTQIA+ athletes and staff is vital right now
as we are seeing an onslaught of legislation and bans across the country, including the state of Ohio.
Coaches' influence over student-athletes instills powerful lessons on and off the field. Learn how to develop well-rounded athletes who stand up for diversity and inclusion.
Student-athletes can influence generations and send the message of equity and inclusion to the masses. Learn how actions can shape equality for all identities.
* Parking is not included in registration and is the sole responsibility of attendees
All 2023-24 Cleveland Power of Sport Summit programming is subject to change.